Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tomorrow's the Day

Well, folks, tomorrow is the day.

Tomorrow, I will have my first official day as the multi-handicap instructor at Kingfisher Heritage School.  I am INCREDIBLY nervous, but I am also SUPER excited.

To tell you a little bit about my class (while maintaining confidentiality)...

I will have ten students ranging in age from Pre-k through 10th grade.  These ten kiddos represent a wide range of abilities and special education categories.  They are ALL boys.

It was a little overwhelming to sit down with the previous teacher to gain a little history on the students.  Thankfully, she is still in the building.  She moved to a different aspect of special ed.  She has been a great resource so far.

In addition, I was told early on that I will have four amazing aides.  I have had the opportunity to meet two of them and work pretty closely with one of them.  After that time with Sharon, I will concur that she is AMAZING!  This will be year twelve for her in the multi-handicap classroom.  She is familiar with the students and their learning styles, discipline needs, and personal/health needs.  However, even with her years of experience, she has been emphatic that I come in and take control of the classroom.  She told me she was a little worried the first day I met her that I would let the aides walk over me.  She's gotten to know me a little better, and I think she may just have more confidence in me than I do in myself.

I will definitely face some major challenges and it will without a doubt be a learning experience for all of us.  I'll be sure and let you know tomorrow how my first day went!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Prayers are sent your way! You will do amazing. I have FULL faith in you. Those boys are lucky to have you as their teacher. Keep me updated!!! You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

To all my friends, old and new
I'd love to hear a word from you!